Is regenerative healthcare the solution? After all, food is medicine.
Although the United States is considered one of the wealthiest and most powerful countries, it’s certainly not the most healthy.
According to Bloomberg’s Global Health Index’s review of healthiest countries, we ranked 35th!! That is unacceptable. Sure we may be living longer, but are we healthier and happier than previous generations? According to the stats, we aren’t.
- Only 12.2% of adults in the United States are metabolically healthy, meaning they have a normal waist circumference, blood pressure, blood sugar, triglyceride levels, and HDL cholesterol levels and do not take any medication.
- 6 in 10 adults in the United States have at least one chronic disease.
- 4 in 10 adults in the United States have 2 or more chronic diseases.
- 1 in 2 people in the United States are taking at least one prescription drug.
We need to heal! We need to thrive, not just survive!
THERE MAY BE A SOLUTION. And it’s called REGENERATIVE HEALTHCARE.
Sure, I’ve heard of regenerative farming. And, I know the power of healing foods. I also know that toxins can decrease your health. But the term “regenerative healthcare” is new to me. It pulls it all together.
As Wendell Berry famously said: “People are fed by the food industry, which pays no attention to health, and are treated by the health industry, which pays no attention to food.” This is what needs to change.
This is such an in depth topic, but let’s take a quick look at the board stroke differences.
>>> Conventional Healthcare + Conventional Food
- Diet consists of mostly processed foods that are high in sugar, hydrogenated fat, and synthetic additives; Prioritizes high crop yields and a long shelf life.
- Contains 6-38% less nutrients compared to food 70 years ago due to depleted soils. This results in “hidden hunger”, lacking nutrients despite normal calorie intake.
- Puts pollutants and toxins in the soil, the air, the water, and our bodies. This can lead to inflammation and a variety of chronic health issues.
- General lack of exercise in the modern American lifestyle and considering the percentage of digital tasks and jobs are on the rise.
- Treat symptoms with pharmaceutical drugs.
>>> Regenerative Healthcare
- Diet consists of naturally made, properly prepared, minimally processed, and fermented foods that are low sugar, contain healthy fats, and are easily digestible.
- Produces nutrient-dense foods from nutrient-dense and biodiverse soils. A body will get what it needs to be healthy and feel full appropriately.
- A holistic approach to farming that does not require toxins or anything synthetic.
- Exercise is essential and prescribed for healing.
- Treat illnesses holistically while addressing the root issue, only using pharmaceutical drugs when absolutely necessary.
Maybe it’s time for a new perspective...
How do you feel about your health? What are you doing to become healthier? Is regenerative healthcare part of your plan?
Info sourced from: