Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
May 8, 2023 • 0 comments
My favorite vanilla ice cream recipe is pretty simple, albeit time consuming. It's deliciously thick and creamy, with just the right amount of sweetness. Serve with apple pie or with your favorite ice cream toppings.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 8
- (3 cups) A2 COW Half & Half, Raw (Glass)
- (1 cup) A2 COW Super Heavy Cream, Raw (Glass)
- (8) Chicken Eggs, Soy Free
- (9 oz) Sugar
- (2 tsp) Vanilla, Homemade
- Place the half and half and cream in a pot. Heat on medium heat until it reaches a simmer, stirring occasionally. *While it’s heating, you can do step 2. If step 2 is not complete before the cream mixture is heated, remove the cream mixture from the heat and finish step 2.
- Whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar to the egg yolks and whisk to combine.
- Temper the cream mixture into the eggs. Gradually add cream mixture into the egg mixture until ⅓ of the cream mixture is added.
- Add everything back to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and reaches 170-175F.
- Pour the mixture into a container and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for at least 12 hours until completely chilled or until the temperature reaches 40F.
- Churn into ice cream, following your ice cream maker’s instructions.
- Put into containers. Leave a little bit of head space to account for expansion when freezing.
- Eat immediately as soft ice cream. For hard ice cream, freeze ice cream for at least 3-4 hours before serving.