- Season room temperature pork shoulder with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is sizzling, brown the outside of the pork shoulder for about 2 minutes per side and set aside.
- Using a fork, mash together the spice rub ingredients into a thick paste. Rub paste all over pork and place in crock-pot.
- Add orange juice, lime, bay leaf and chopped onion to the crock pot. Pour liquid slow and gently over the pork so the rub stays in place.
- Cook in a crock-pot on high for 5-6 hours or low 8-10 hours.
- Remove the pork and shred with 2 forks.
- Serve in tortillas and add your favorite toppings.
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup A2/A2 greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Lime juice
- Dashes of salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, chili powders
Lay out pork for 30-45 minutes prior to searing.
Fry corn tortillas for a crispy shell.
Fresh squeezed citrus will be the most flavorful.
Traditionally, pork carnitas are served with onion and cilantro but other toppings are delicious too!
**Topping suggestions- shredded cheese, onion, tomato, avocado, cilantro, sour cream, cilantro lime cream sauce.